A blue roof is a non-vegetated or semi-vegetated roof design that is intended to detain and control the flow of stormwater or persistent rainfall. Blue roofs are less costly than green roofs and can be applied to areas where green roofs are not sustainable. Blue roofs that are used for temporary rooftop storage can be classified as “active” or “passive” depending on the types of control devices used to regulate drainage of water from the roof. A number of blue roof pilot projects have been implemented around the UK. Blue roofs are sometimes referred to as automated roof runoff management systems.
Utilising some of the latest Super Absorbent Fibre roofing material we can provide sustainability benefits through major reductions in rainwater runoff to rooftop cooling.
Some Blue Roof Benefits:
- Management of storm water at source
- Potential habitat replacement and enhancement
- Potential to create valuable amenity spaces
- Contributes towards certified sustainability targets
- Protection to existing waterproofing systems extending overall design life
- Quick and easy installation
- Robust long life materials
Please contact The Urban Greening Company for more information on blue roofs or storm water management systems.